Our Legal Team
Ryan Van Osdol
Founder and Managing Partner
Ryan has substantial experience representing individuals and business entities in commercial litigation matters. He has successfully represented numerous clients in state and federal trial courts, state and federal appellate courts, and the Illinois Supreme Court. In addition to court proceedings, Ryan has also obtained excellent results for clients in both mediation and arbitration forums. The types of claims he handles, includes: breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, successor liability, piercing the corporate veil, fraud, collection matters, defamation, negligence, tortious interference with contract and other rights, property damage, civil rights violations, shareholder disputes, creditor’s and debtor’s rights, employment disputes, trade secrets, restrictive covenants, mechanic’s liens and other construction disputes, probate litigation, and personal injury.
In addition to litigation, Ryan also provides general counsel to corporate clients. He has experience in representing business clients from their infancy stages, including entity selection and formation, registering with the Secretary of State and IRS, and drafting internal governance documents. He also has experience advising business clients on the issues that they face on a day-to-day basis, including: corporate compliance issues, employment issues, contract issues, key communications, and other important legal decisions required for the successful operation of their business.
When not practicing law, Ryan enjoys spending time with his family, traveling, golfing, playing poker, and reading.
Education & Licenses
- Southern Illinois University, B.A. in Paralegal Studies, with honors (2004)
- The John Marshall Law School, J.D., cum laude (2008)
- Law Review Member
- Moot Court – Finalist in Herzog Moot Court Competition
- Dean’s List
- Illinois – Trial Courts, Appellate Courts, and Supreme Court
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- United States District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- United States Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
Awards & Memberships
- Illinois Super Lawyers has recognized Ryan Van Osdol as a Rising Star consecutively from 2012-2020.
- No more than 2.5% of Illinois attorneys are selected as Rising Stars. Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding attorneys from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. Attorneys cannot pay to be listed as a Super Lawyers Rising Star. The annual selections are made using a rigorous multi-phased process that includes a statewide survey, independent research, and peer reviews by practice area.
- Martindale-Hubbell has assigned Ryan Van Osdol the AV Preeminent Rating from 2013 through the present.
- Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ recognize lawyers for their strong legal ability and high ethical standards. Individuals seeking legal counsel, as well as attorneys looking to refer a colleague, use these ratings to identify, evaluate and select the most appropriate lawyer. An elite group of approximately 10 percent of all attorneys holds an AV Preeminent Rating, a designation trusted worldwide by buyers and referrers of legal services.AV Preeminent® is the highest peer rating standard. This rating signifies that a large number of the lawyer’s peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence for their legal knowledge, communication skills and ethical standards. AV Preeminent® is a Certification Mark used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell® certification procedures, standards and policies.
- Illinois State Bar Association Civil Practice and Procedure Section Council (current member)
- Illinois State Bar Association Commercial Banking, Collection, and Bankruptcy Section Council (former member)
- Illinois State Bar Association Corporate Law Department Section Council (current member)
- Illinois State Bar Association Law Office Management and Economics Section Council (current member)
- Illinois State Bar Association Legal Technology Section Council (current member)
Judaea is a Harper College graduate with an Associate in Applied Science Degree and a Paralegal Studies Certificate. In addition to receiving her diploma, she also earned a membership in the paralegal honors society Lambda Epsilon Chi. She works primarily with Ryan Van Osdol and provides support to the other members of the firm. She assists attorneys with both litigation and corporate matters. Some of her tasks include preparing court filings, conducting legal research, and drafting legal documents for review by her supervising attorney. Judaea loves helping clients accomplish their goals, is very eager to learn new skills, and enjoys the experience she is gaining at the Business Law Group.
When Judaea is not at work, she enjoys being with her family, painting, crocheting, walking her dog, and cooking.